Jesus' (and our) Father is Trustworthy!
Wednesday, March, 15, 2017 | 2:16 PM | by Munholland
Headline news today should scroll 'Welcome to the Fear Monger Shop!' We are inundated with so many tragedies, conflicts, murders, and fiscal crimes that we can begin to wonder if we can trust God to take care of us. When I was a kid we received the daily news which incorporated a lot of positive things happening in the community. Today's 24/7 news cycle, however, leaves out the good and feeds us a steady diet of the bad and the ugly from around the world. There is always something horrible happening either from sin or circumstances.
We can trust God with our lives even in today's world. This isn't wishful thinking. It is based on the promises of God found in the Scriptures. Paul tells the Romans about Jesus' teaching that those who believe in God receive a new status - Children of God. 'For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption as children of God. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."' (Romans 8:14-15)
Just as a child utters those first words of recognition to their father, 'dada' or 'papa', so we know the love of God that delights in us and cares for our every need. Just as a child cannot conceive of all the ways a parent nurtures, provides, and disciplines the child, we cannot conceive of all that God is doing for our good. However, we can completely trust Jesus' Father who has become our father as well.
James Bryan Smith reminds us in the Good and Beautiful God about the character of the Father which allows us to trust him completely. When the disciples asked how they should pray, Jesus responded with the most beautiful prayer that we lift up weekly in worship. This prayer tells us a lot about our heavenly Father who we can trust implicitly:
- God is Present. 'Our Father who art in heaven' - The Hebrews didn't use the term 'heaven' as a far off place, but as God' presence all around us.
- God is Pure. 'hallowed be thy name' - God is holy, and all that is done by God is perfect and pure.
- God is Powerful. 'Thy kingdom come' - God is the King of kings and Lord of lords. One day God's rule will be fully realized on earth when Christ returns.
- God Provides. 'Give us our daily bread' - God cares about us, body and soul, and will provide for our many natural needs as human beings.
- God Pardons. 'Forgive us our sins' - God is compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Everyone who turns to him finds forgiveness through the work of his Son, Jesus.
- God Protects. 'deliver us from the evil one' - There is none greater than God. There is no trial or temptation that you face that God will not provide the wisdom and strength to persevere. In fact, we often find that God uses us in the most difficult times to be a witness and blessing to others.
The next time you are feeling like the world is closing in, say the Lord's prayer. Let it be more than a petition. Let it be your declaration, your affirmation, of whose you are. You belong to the greatest family of all. We are children of God, joint heirs with Christ. All of Jesus' Father's resources and love are directed toward your good. Praise be to God!
If you are struggling to trust God with your life and present circumstances, give me a call, 504-834-9910. I'd love to spend time with you in conversation and prayer.
Blessed to be a blessing,